Monday, October 8, 2007

VH1 Hip Hop Honors TONIGHT!!!!!

I've been purposely avoiding the entire VH1 Hip Hop Honors thing dealing with Lupe...

If you don't know what Im talking about, READ THIS...
UPDATE: Watch Lupes One Sec. Slip Up Here (And Haters Feel Dumb for even blowing this up)

And everything is all going back to this whole thing where Lupe said he has never heard ATCQ's Midnight Mauraders. Many people have their opinion on Lupe's forgetting some of the lyrics during the tribute...So I guess I'll give mine... And Lets pretend for a second that I am an artist, and if I were in Lupe's position my reply would be...

"I GET MONEY"...

No but really...It would be that Music is Subjective. I do not have to like what you like. You being the masses. Just because a mass of people may agree on an album being a "classic," it does not mean that I have to agree on it. I like what I like. Remember a while back when EVERYBODY was wearing Burberry pattern, fake and real, I personally thought and still do think that Burberry pattern is ugly. But EVERYBODY was wearing it. Two different things but yet the same priniciple. The idea that it is subjective. So what Lupe does not want to listen to Midnight Mauraders. Maybe it just doesnt interest him. And because it does not interest him does not mean that he is being disrespectful to ATCQ and taking away from the impact they've had. Im sure alot of people that started listening to Hip-Hop after ATCQ era and have heard the album only listen and liked it because someone told them to or that it was a classic or that they should listen and not because they had their own general interest to hear it. Which is no different from someone wearing Bape because Weezy does, or the people who will practically buy anything that Oprah Winfrey puts her co-sign on. You should be interested in stuff because you like it, not simply because someone tells you that you should be.

Or because he is put into the "backpack rapper" category that he should be familiar with ATCQ because they paved the way for him to do what he does. Martin Luther King Jr. paved the way for alot of people, specifically African Americans, but how many of you even know that Martin Luther King Jr. was born Michael and called Mike until his father changed his name when he was either 11 or 12 years old. Does this discredit you as an African American, or is this disrespectful to Martin Luther King Jr.? No it is not.

Music again is subjective because it can be done in any form or fashion. It is an expression of one self. The music that I listen to and enjoy is good enough for me. There are no standards. If I love Soulja Boys new song "Soulja Girl" and the rest of the world hates it, who cares? I like it and thats good enough for me.

I am glad Lupe did not apologize, he stood his ground and said that it was a mistake. And everybody wants to say he didn't prepare or he should have learned the lyrics. (How do you know he didnt) Or the even dumber argument that he should know the song away because of him being a Hip Hop (backpacker) artist. If he never listened to them, or studied them, then how could you even argue that? Just because people wanna throw him into the same category as them, (because people love labeling something), is it his fault? Does he have to live up to it? Why can't he just live up to Lupe Fiasco? And its not arrogance, its just being comfortable with yourself in knowing that you don't have to do what everybody THINKS you should be doing. You do what you wanna do because at the end of the day you are the only person who has to live with the decisions you make.

OKAY OKAY OKAY...Im on my soapbox now but basically to summarize..."And if they hate, then let them hate, and watch the money pile up...I GET MONEY"

FIN.

2 comments:

RHOyal Fiasco said...

I agree...

If you notice, in my earlier post, I completely ignored the whole hoopla because its so ridiculous it isn't even worth discussing...

Let's get a donor drive going to try and find Phife a kidney, as he is battling diabetes...

His health is of more concern to me than his lyrics being misquoted... K

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked theres only ONE comment on this, cuz I think this is great, I agree w/you wholeheartedly and think its awesome that u are defending him. Honestly, I LOVE the Tribe and I definitely cringed when I heard that on YouTube, but you're SO right, why does Lupe have to like Tribe too? (Oddly enough, I'm listening to Midnight Marauders right now, haha.